Could not recommend stafffinders enough. I met with Chloe, and already she had me in mind for a position that had just come up. She organised the interview, and I was successful. Throughout the temping experience she was always readily available with advice, or help. I am now a permanent employee and could not have done it without stafffinders.
Thank you so much Chloe x
Claims Underwriter Jobs
Claims Underwriters decide whether applications for insurance cover (risks) should be accepted and on what terms. Claims Underwriters assess a risk according to the likelihood of a claim being made by weighing up a number of factors and asking for detailed information from prospective clients (policy holders). The aim is to minimise losses for their company and help to make a profit.
Insurance is divided into two main sectors, typical work activities include:
- General insurance - covers personal (motor, household, etc), commercial (insuring businesses and organisations against damage to premises, injury to people at work, etc) and re-insurance (accepting a risk or part of a risk from another insurer)
- Life insurance - properly known as 'assurance', offers cover for illness, injury and death.
Qualified Underwriters earn between £25,000 and £40,000.
What does a Claims Underwriter job involve?
Most Underwriters specialise in one type of insurance.
Daily activities will vary according to the type of insurance offered by the company, but may include:
- studying various insurance proposals
- gathering and assessing background information
- calculating possible risk and deciding how much individuals or organisations should pay for insurance (the premium)
- deciding whether the risk should be shared with a re-insurer
- computing results for appropriate premiums using actuarial information, other statistics and own judgement
- visiting brokers or potential customers and preparing quotes
- liaising with specialists, such as Surveyors or Doctors, for risk assessment
- gathering information and various types of reports (medical records) from specialists
- negotiating terms with policy holders or their brokers
- ensuring that premiums are competitive
- specifying conditions to be imposed on different types of policies, for example asking that a property owner install a burglar alarm
- negotiating with brokers and drawing up contracts
- writing policies
Contact the Insurance Division Team
Email the Insurance Division at email@example.com.
Candidates can submit a CV online using our Register online service.
Insurance Jobs by Email
If you would like to receive notification of new insurance job opportunities by email please subscribe to the insurance mailing list.
We don't have any jobs advertised for this job title at the moment.